Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What is "NORMAL"?


Wow! We didn't realize that it's been 2 weeks since I've written on our blog. I guess that's because we had our week "off" without any chemo. It was a wonderful week and we were more "normal". However, I'm beginning to feel like "normal" is only a setting on my dryer. Sept. 3 was our Friday without chemo so the following week had minimal residual side effects - no nausea and less fatigue.


We were able to attend our Christian Embassy Staff Retreat Tues. the 7th through Thurs. the 9th. It was held at Shrine Mont, an Episcopal conference center out near West Virginia. It was a delightful setting and a relaxed program of fellowship and times with the Lord. Sam did quite well and had enough stamina to participate in almost everything. I was program chairman so I couldn't relax like he did. There were games and scavenger hunt and skits to monitor.


During our personal "Date with God" time alone in the woods I decided to climb the mountain to the cross on top. (I had a burden to lay at the foot of the cross. You can probably guess what that was.)


Along the steep climb there are trees with signs for the "station's of the Cross". The Lord truly spoke to me as I read them and sometimes prayed the passages on each sign back to Him. When I got to the top of the mtn. I was surprised to find that the cross was on top of a steep "look out " tower. For those who don't know, I am scared of heights.


I took one look at the precarious wooden tower and wanted to quit. But, I had something to prove to myself and to demonstrate to the Lord so I carefully took a firm grip on the wooden railings and slowly started the climb. The tower got narrower and narrower as I climbed and by the time I got to the top my heart was pounding with fear. It took all the courage I could muster but I laid down on the platform and gave my burden to the Lord in prayer. Once I finished that, I took in the 360 degree awsome views (of course gripping the rail and staying as far back from the edge as possible. )


It was a much needed time alone with the Lord and the climb reminded me a bit of my bicycle hill climb that I wrote about in an earlier blog. This mountain though was much steeper and longer. When I got to the tree with the station of the Cross where Jesus stumbled I too slipped on the pea gravel as I was trying to get close enough to read the plaque. It was as if the Lord said to me, "It's okay if you stumble a bit under your burden. I did too under mine."


Well we came home to our third session (second round) of chemo the following day. It went pretty much like the other weeks. We sit for 5 hours in recliner chairs and wait for the IV bags of chemicals to slowly drip into Sam. He felt fine for most of the rest of the weekend until mid way through Sunday. This seems to be a pattern now. Kristi, Darrin and Lily had come up for the weekend so that was a pleasant distraction from thinking about cancer. Then almost like clockwork, when they left Sam began to feel nauseas. He took his pills and they pretty much end the nausea but bring on the fatique and sleepiness and the weekend ends with ZZZzzzzz's and no appetite. From what we hear, this is much better than chemo in the past.


Pray for my spirits when this happens because I begin to feel alone and contemplate what it would be like to lose Sam. Thankfully by Monday or Tuesday he begins to return to me and the rest of the world. Today he even drove in the Capital Hill to have a lunch Bible Study with some of his guys. They are a great encouragement to him and it's nice to return to "normal".

7 comments:

  1. Nan, You guys are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your faith and your walk with us. Sending love and prayers for you, Katie Lowery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam and Nan,

    We continue to pray for you.

    God is so good to walk with Nan up that hill and up those stairs by faith and to cause Nan to slip, just to give you both a tangible lesson to remember as you climb this cancer hill together.

    Mike and Sus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan, We are praying that Sam will have less nausea as you move along in the chemo treatment. My husband found the "Emend" capsules which he took before each session were very effective. Ask about that particular drug if you have not been given it. It is expensive, but made a big difference for Jim when his liver was particularly compromised at the beginning of chemotherapy. He continues to improve but still gets 3 days of infusions each month. He regained the wt. he had lost and his appetite improved a lot with that help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan,
    God always seems to give us a sign when we need it. I am encouraged as I have been thinking lately about Heb 4: "We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality, He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all- all but the sin. So let's walk right up to HIm and get what He is so ready to give. take the mercy accept the help" (The Message- remix)Love you guys - Pat and I are praying daily for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan and Sam - Thank you for keeping us in touch. We can somewhat understand the emotions you all are going through. Where would we be without the hope and comfort He alone can give. He is a wonderful God, full of compassion and faithfulness to walk with us through our valleys. "Father - I ask for your peace to envelop Sam and Nan. May they not only know how much you care for and love them, but that the reality of that surround and keep and overwhelm them. Shower them with your abiding love that never flickers nor dims, but is always strong and bright and constant. In your Son's name we pray."

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you and Sam as you walk your cancer journey together. Know that I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like the God of all comfort is giving His comfort to you during this time of affliction in your lives, and you are blessing others by passing it on through your lives and blog. Praying for His comfort for you both today. (2 Cor. 1:3-5)

    ReplyDelete